Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Drawing Music :: Ecstatic Music Festival 2012 : Dan Deacon

A chance, post-sunset email encounter brought me to the Merkin Concert Hall last night for the Ecstatic Music Festival's premiere of Dan Deacon's new composition. I was impressed by his concert "happening" during last year's Ecstatic Music Festival (captured in drawings and ruminations here >), and was curious to see what will be his new program. The show was streaming live on NPR, so maybe some of you heard it or will hear it as the recording goes up. It was exquisite, performed by the composer himself, NOW Ensemble and Calder Quartet . I really loved it. Couldn't help but hear "Music for 18 Musicians" by Steve Reich throughout the piece, which must have really influenced Dan Deacon. All in all, I am really into whatever it is this composer is doing, his taste level and the choices that he makes.  Now, if only I could get a recording onto my playlist...mmm...

So, as I was listening and watching from the balcony, I drew on the iPad. 

An Opal Toad with Obsidian Eyes (2012) by Dan Deacon. NOW Ensemble and Calder Quartet at the Merkin Concert Hall
drawn on my iPad
Two members of Calder Quartet, playing pizzicato.
drawn on my iPad  
An Opal Toad with Obsidian Eyes (2012) by Dan Deacon. NOW Ensemble and Calder Quartet at the Merkin Concert Hall
drawn on my iPad

Dan Deacon with laptop and cables, and a member of Calder Quartet
drawn on my iPad 


Calder Quartet performing Glitch by Daniel Wohl. *loved*
drawn on my iPad 


A shout-out to Judd Greenstein, the composer who organizes and curates Ecstatic Music Festival. Nice to see you again! Till next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment